Washington State University

Revised 8-04
Environmental Health and Safety

Recycling or Disposal of Chemical Wastes

PDF link

University personnel must manage chemical waste in accordance with local, state, and federal regulatory requirements. Compliance is necessary to protect the health and safety of University employees, students and visitors and to meet local, state, and federal regulatory requirements.
Legal Requirements
WSU must comply with federal, state, and local hazardous waste laws and regulations.
Violations of federal, state, or local law may result in fines and/or imprisonment for University personnel, supervisors, and administrative officers.
Related Procedures
Section 5.68 provides procedures for identification and storage of chemical wastes.

Chemical Wastes
Policies and procedures in 5.66 and 5.68 apply only to the management of chemical wastes which are regulated by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Washington State Department of Ecology, and the United States Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).
Radioactive Wastes
These procedures do not apply to radioactive wastes. The Radiation Safety Office manages radioactive substances. Telephone 335-8916 for assistance or refer to 9.70.
Biohazardous Wastes
These procedures do not apply to biohazardous wastes. Facilities Services, Operations collects and incinerates biohazardous wastes. Telephone 335-9000 for assistance or refer to 4.24.
EH&S Responsibilities
EH&S assists departments by collecting, designating, recycling, and disposing of hazardous chemical wastes.

EH&S provides departments with information about waste minimization and with directions for preparing hazardous chemical wastes for recycling or disposal.

Contact EH&S for assistance in managing chemical wastes; telephone 335-3041.
Generator Responsibilities

Waste Generator
A waste generator is a person who creates chemical wastes.
Waste Identification
The waste generator is responsible for determining whether chemical wastes meet federal, state, and/or local government definitions of dangerous wastes.

Identify which wastes must be managed as dangerous waste. See 5.68. Wastes defined as dangerous wastes must be packaged, stored, transported, and disposed of in a safe and legal manner.

Examples of dangerous wastes include laboratory chemicals, photographic processing chemicals, leftover paint, automobile fluids, and other maintenance materials.
Identification Alternative
As an alternative, report all wastes by submitting a Chemical Collection Request to Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S). See "Reporting Wastes" below. EH&S determines the proper management method.
Batteries and Aerosol Containers
Batteries and pressurized aerosol containers are considered to be regulated hazardous waste and must not be disposed of in trash cans, dumpsters, or any other uncontrolled waste receptacle.

EH&S provides labeled containers for batteries and pressurized containers in waste accumulation areas in various campus locations. Contact EH&S for the locations of the waste accumulation areas or to arrange waste pickup.
Each department is responsible for properly labeling, preparing, and safely storing all chemical wastes generated. Refer to 5.68 for chemical waste storage procedures.
Minimizing Waste
Each department is responsible for minimizing chemical waste generation through prudent purchasing practices, product substitution, recycling, or reducing the amount of chemicals used by the department.
Providing Hazard Data
To facilitate safe and legal management of hazardous materials, each department is responsible for providing hazard information (i.e., a Material Safety Data Sheet) to EH&S upon request. See also 5.10.
The waste generator is responsible for properly packaging chemical wastes.
The generator supplies containers for disposal or recycling chemical wastes.
Segregate containers of potentially reactive chemicals (e.g. acids/bases or oxidizers/flammables) in order to prevent reactions prior to or during storage or collection.
The waste generator is responsible for properly labeling chemical waste containers.

Place a dangerous waste label on each container when waste is first added. See example in the PDF version of 5.66.4.

Obtain a dangerous waste label by:

Select Environmental Issues, then
Select Chemical Waste Management/Chemical Spills, then
Select Printable Dangerous Waste Label.
Each label must contain all of the following information:
Account for 100% of the waste constituents on the container label, including water. Do not use chemical formulae or abbreviations.
Use a pen or marker that leaves a permanent impression.
The CCR number can be found in the upper right corner of the Chemical Collection Request. See the PDF version of 5.66.5.
University personnel who generate surplus hazardous chemicals are responsible for reporting those chemicals to EH&S for subsequent recycling or disposal.
Chemical Collection Request
Use a Chemical Collection Request (CCR) to report chemicals for disposal or recycling. The form is available online at the EH&S Environmental Services website. Go to:

Select Environmental Issues, then
Select Chemical Waste Management/Chemical Spills, then
Select Online Chemical Collection Request.
Obtain paper copies from University Stores. Request item number 47860. Contact EH&S for alternative reporting options if more than 25 forms are required at any one time.

See the PDF version of 5.66.5 to view a completed example of a Chemical Collection Request.
Online Form
When submitting forms online:
The system provides a Dangerous Waste label for printing and issues a CCR number (described above).
Paper Form
All information entered on the paper form is the same as that entered on the online form. Detailed instructions for filling out the CCR are provided on the back of the paper form.

Type or print all information requested on the form.
General Instructions
Complete a separate Chemical Collection Request form (CCR) for each waste. One form may be used for multiple containers of identical waste (i.e., same waste composition).

When filling out the CCR, write information in the unshaded areas only.
Enter the name of the responsible person who can answer questions about the waste.
Mailstop or Gen ID
In the Mailstop or Gen ID field, enter the department mailcode. Check with the department office to obtain this number.
Enter the number at which the responsible person can be reached.
Building and Room
Specify the building name and room number where the waste is to be collected.
Constituents and %
Enter the complete chemical name for each of the waste constituents. Do not use chemical formulae or abbreviations.

Record the percentages of each constituent. Be sure that listed constituents account for 100% of the container contents (including water).
Unknown Chemicals
If chemical wastes cannot be identified, fill out a Chemical Collection Request form as completely as possible. Write the term "Unknown" in the Constituents section of the form and add any information available concerning the waste (i.e., known constituents, manufacturer's name and address, physical appearance).

Generators of unknowns should make every effort, including contacting departed faculty or staff, to determine a container's contents.
Indicate liquid, solid, and/or gas. If it is a combination of physical states, mark each physical state present in the container.
Number of Containers
Indicate the number of containers.
Indicate the size of the container(s), e.g., 4 liters, 250 millilitres.
Filing the Form
Enter the CCR number on the Dangerous Waste label.

Place the yellow copy of the paper form or a copy of the online label in the files of the generating department/laboratory.

Send the white copy of the paper form to EH&S; mail stop 1172.
After receiving the completed form, EH&S personnel determine the appropriate management method and assign all applicable waste designation codes.

EH&S collects the chemicals and coordinates and contracts for transportation, recycling, or disposal of waste chemicals.

NOTE: EH&S's response to departmental requests for disposal of certain chemicals may be delayed until a disposal facility is found to accept the wastes.
EH&S reviews all wastes for recycling alternatives.

EH&S maintains a stock of unused chemicals on campus which are available for recycling to University personnel.

The list of chemicals appears on the EH&S Environmental Services website. Go to:

Select Environmental Issues, then
Select Chemical Waste Management/Chemical Spills, then
Select Chemical Waste Identification.
To request free delivery of a chemical on the recycling database, e-mail EH&S from the website or call 335-3041.

To recycle surplus chemicals from a lab or work area, submit the chemicals to EH&S using the waste reporting procedure described above. EH&S determines whether the chemicals are acceptable for recycling.

Drains, Trash, Evaporation
Disposal of dangerous chemical wastes in drains, by evaporation, or by placement in the regular trash system is a serious violation of local, state, and federal law, punishable by fines and imprisonment.

When a generator of dangerous wastes illegally or inappropriately dumps such waste in the trash contaminating common refuse (trash, paper, etc.), the entire mixture may become a "dangerous waste." This practice may result in costly disposal.

The University may require generators who create such disposal problems to pay for disposal.

A hazardous chemical waste cannot be rendered nonhazardous by dilution with water or solvent.
Under unusual circumstances, and with prior approval, disposal by one of the above methods may be legal and appropriate. Contact EH&S for more information; telephone 335-3041.

Laboratory Spills
If the spill occurs in a laboratory, refer to:
Nonlaboratory Spills
Refer to 5.62 for chemical spill management procedures.
Call 911 if involved personnel are uncertain about the nature of the spill or require assistance with spill management procedures.