Washington State University

Revised 2-06
Risk Management
Motor Pool

Motor Vehicle Accidents

PDF link


University personnel are to report any traffic accident involving any vehicle used for official University business in accordance with the following procedure. See also 7.10.


Obtain Medical Aid

Obtain emergency medical aid for any injured persons.

Notify Police

Contact the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction for the accident location.

Within Washington State

When possible, the law enforcement officer should file an official Police Traffic Collision Report (WSP-159). If damages are significant (i.e., $700 or more) or if bodily injury has occurred, the officer must file a Washington State Vehicle Collision Report (WSP-161). Both forms are provided by law enforcement agencies within the state of Washington.

Obtain Information

Obtain the following information from other involved parties and witnesses:

Notify WSU

Immediately notify the following WSU officials or offices, as appropriate:

Post-Accident Guidelines

Actions to take after an accident are summarized in the Post Accident Guidelines provided in each University vehicle's glove box.


As soon as possible, the WSU driver obtains two written estimates for repairs to the University vehicle. The driver sends the estimates with the accident report (see below) to Risk Management.

Glass Repair

WSU Pullman units are to obtain glass repairs from the Motor Pool. Units in other locations obtain two written estimates from local glass repair shops and submit them with the accident report (see below) to Risk Management.

Auto Body

Local vendors are to be used for auto body repairs.

Review of Estimates

Risk Management reviews the estimates and selects a vendor to provide the repairs.


Drivers report all traffic accidents, regardless of how minor, on a State of Washington Vehicle Accident Report (SF-137).

Within two working days, the WSU driver submits a Vehicle Accident Report to Risk Management. The Vehicle Accident Report must include the driver's signature and the driver's supervisor's signature. The driver attaches copies of the repair estimates and any pertinent information obtained from witnesses, law enforcement, or others.

This form is found in the glove compartment of University vehicles or may be obtained from Risk Management or the Motor Pool.

NOTE: Departments must permanently maintain a supply of Vehicle Accident Report forms in all department-owned or leased vehicles. See 7.10.

Bodily Injury

In the event of bodily injury to WSU employees, University personnel are to complete WSU accident reporting forms as indicated in 2.24 and 2.30.


A University traveler involved in an accident while driving a privately-owned vehicle on University business is not reimbursed for deductibles and the traveler's insurance is considered primary. See BPPM 95.11.


A third party who wishes to file a claim against the state of Washington due to an accident with a WSU motor vehicle and/or driver completes a Standard Vehicle Accident Tort Claim Form (SF-138). This form is available from Risk Management.


Risk Management reviews all accidents involving University vehicles. See also below.

Risk Management advises the driver's department chair, director, or equivalent administrator by letter if the results of the accident review indicate a driver error accident. The letter may require the driver to attend driver's training.

Driver Error Accidents

Driver error accidents are defined as accidents in which the University-authorized driver was in error which result in:

Windshield damage is not included in this definition.

Departmental Actions

Risk Management requests feedback by letter from the employee's department as to the actions taken by the department to help minimize the possibility of recurrences. Risk Management sends a copy of the letter to HRS.

Optional actions available to the manager/supervisor include the following:

For information regarding corrective and disciplinary actions, see BPPM 60.50, WAC 357-40, the Faculty Manual, the Administrative Professional Handbook, and/or any applicable collective bargaining unit agreement. See the HRS website for advisory guidelines for corrective and disciplinary actions for civil service employees at:


Select Managers Toolkit, then
Select Civil Service Employees.

See 7.10 for further information.